Date of Birth: June 23, 1930

Date of Death: March 2, 2014

William Joseph (Bill) Yuhas, youngest son of Frank and Julianna (Molnar) Yuhasz, was born June 23, 1930, four miles north of Langbank, Sask. At age six, he started school at Montgomery School. In November 1941, Bill with parents and siblings Andrew and Helen moved to a farm northwest of Kennedy. In March 1944 the Yuhasz family moved to the farm north of Whitewood on the old No. 1 highway. Bill completed his education at the Whitewood School.

Yuhas, BillThe winter of 1945-46 saw Bill and brother Andrew operating the pool hall and bowling alley in Whitewood. Bill got a job as a mechanic in 1948 at Lamont’s Garage. He continued to work with Frank Ward throughout the years at Schmidt’s, Davidge’s and Service Machinery (Massey).

During the 1950’s Bill, Andrew and friend Joe Soloshy had a small band called The Silver Tones. They played for house parties, wedding dances and dances. They were loud and a good time was had by all.

On August 5, 1955 Bill married Ruth, youngest daughter of Adolph and Natalie Steinke, at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Wapella. In their first winter they were snowed in from December until April. They walked to the neighbors, catching a ride to town perhaps once a week. So the art of baking bread and cooking was soon learned, as finances and supplies were hard to come by, so what one prepared, one ate. They farmed the Yuhas home farm for the next 20 years, supplementing their income by milking cows, selling potatoes and delivering eggs from house to house in Whitewood. Bill continued to work at the garages. In the Spring of 1976, Bill went to work for Service Machinery (Massey) as parts manager.

Bill and Ruth moved  to Whitewood in August 1976. He retired from the Massey in 1980. The farm was sold to John and Dot Fricker in 1979. Many summers were spent camping and fishing with niecs and nephews. Bill spent the winter months in the workshop doing woodcraft. He designed and built much of the furniture in their home. Bill was actively involved in St. Mary’s Anglican Church, and also did a variety of community work. In 2012, Bill and Ruth moved to Moosomin. They have enjoyed making many new acquaintances at Knotty Pine and in the community.

Bill passed away peacefully at the palliative care unit in the Moosomin SE Integrated Care Centre on Sunday, March 2, 2014. Bill was predeceased by his parents Frank & Juliana Yuhasz; brothers Frank, Andrew, sister Mary (Raffey); brothers-in-law Albert Raffey and Victor Drotar; nieces Sandra Yuhas, and Tracy Grimeau. Also, father-in-law and mother-in-law Adolph and Natalie Steinke; brothers-in-law Otto Steinke and Arthur Bergstresser; and sister-in-law Jean Steinke.

He leaves to mourn his wife Ruth of 58 years, sister Helen Drotar, sisters-in-law Mary Yuhasz, Ellen Yuhas, Alma Bergstresser, brother-in-law Alfred Steinke, and many nieces and nephews.

Previous articleChild abduction family now advocate for child safety
Next articleI love the smell of bacon in the morning